16 October 2010

Avery :: When It Was Yesterday


When I recorded this mix in 2002, it was inspired by a big collection of early 90's house music that Johnson came across at his store Joe's Record Paradise.  Johnson gave me a ring and I spent the next several days pouring over 1000's of records.  I found many tracks that I loved back in my early days of going out to the nightlife in DC in the early 90's.  I decided why not make a mix with only music from 10 years ago.

One song that I really love on this mix is The Way I Feel by Mijan.  I don't think I ever heard the song played out live but I know I rocked it.  I think it really got slept on.  Lift Him Up by Funky People is one of those gospel-esque house tracks with an infamous 90's bass line.  Things get very energetic with Find Our Way by Key To Life.  As an hommage to Little Louie Vega, I had to play Shut Me Out by Louie "Balo" Guzman.  I originally hear the track on the United DJs Of America Vol. 2 mix Vega did and was forever trying to hunt down the vinyl.  It took me years to get it.  One Of Those Nights by Norma Jean Bell made me realize that NJB and KDJ (Kenny Dixon Jr.) seem to have released several versions of the same songs over the years.  I'm definitely not complaining because I love the tracks.  The last several tracks on the mix pay respect to my days listening to 92Q (Baltimore radio station) and going to the Paradox.  These tracks were on heavy rotation.

When It Was Yesterday - June 18, 2002

(download - 59:11 - 135mb - 320kbps mp3)

1 / Bust People / What Must I Do / Gee Man Wax
2 / Mijan / The Way I'm Feelin' / Smack
3 / Funky People / Lift Him Up / Funky People
4 / Key To Life / Find Our Way (Breakaway) / Sub-Urban
5 / Louie Balo / Shut Me Out / Empire State Records
6 / The Brand New Heavies / Sometimes (MAW Remix) / FFRR
7 / Norma Jean Bell / One Of Those Nights (Late Night Mix) / Pandamonium
8 / ??
9 / DJ Sneak / Message Of Love / Cajual
10 / Those Guys / Good Vibrations / Basement Boys
11 / Thompson & Lenoir / Can't Stop The House / House Jam Records
12 / Lindell Townsell & M.T.F. / Get With You / Mercury
13 / Cajmere / Brighter Days (Underground Goodie) / Cajual
14 / Robin Breaks / I Get Dubbed / Dansa
15 / Barbara Tucker / I Get Lifted / Strictly Rhythm
16 / Roach Motel / Movin' On / Junior Boy's Own

No comments:

Post a Comment