21 October 2010

DJ Stylus :: Refuge


Recently I've seen DJ Stylus "The Vibe Conductor" popping up everywhere.  I first met stylus when I was DJing for an underground hip-hop radio show "The Nocturnal Sound" at 88.1FM WMUC at University of Maryland College Park.  DJ Stylus is one of the members of the infamous Soul Controllers and I witnessed first hand his skills behind the decks and behind the mic.  What struck me as very cool is that we would get into conversations on some of the latest hip-hop tracks out then start talking about hypothetical science in Star Wars and end up on some debate on politics all while sitting in the studio.  A few years later I ran into Stylus at a guest gig he did at Andalu where I was a resident at the time.  Little did I know that his skills ran deep beyond hip-hop.  He rocked the crowd with a slew of sounds including house, soul, funk, downtempo, and more.  He is indeed The Vibe Conductor.  Recently I posted a great mix by Quantic live at The Do-Over.  I was turned on to the mix from the one and only Stylus.  He just got done with a west coast tour which including a set at the Do-Over.  Unfortunately, nobody pressed record and I can't bring you that mix.  However, thanks to Señor Stylus I bring you this mix from a party he was doing last year in DC called Refuge.  If you indeed like good music, then you must listen to Stylus whenever you get the chance.  I also highly recommend that you check out his active blog The Vibe Conductor.

Much respect to DJ Stylus.

Refuge - November 25 2009

[download | right-click (PC) or CTRL-click (Mac) > 'Save As']
[subscribe in iTunes]

01. New Sector Movements | Para
02. Stevie Wonder | As If You Read My Mind
03. Root Soul feat. Vanessa Freeman & Mike Patto | Spirit of Love (Phil Asher’s Restless Soul Boogie Mix)
04. Eddie Kendricks | Date With The Rain
05. OK-Ma | Bwoygal (Lanu Remix)
06. Atlantic Starr | Circles
07. Jamiroquai | Soul Education
08. Ne-Yo | Nobody
09. Ty | Wait A Minute (Dwele Remix)
10. Little Dragon | Constant Surprises
11. Kaidi Tatham | I’m High
12. Reel People | Ordinary
13. Quantic | Mishaps Happening (Quantic Beat Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment